Renting a holiday home: find out how to rent your property for tourist use

Renting a holiday home for tourist use is an excellent opportunity because it allows you to make the most of spaces and equipment that would usually remain unused. 

Renting a holiday home is an increasingly widespread practice because it allows you to earn something extra from the property you have and to have loyal customers. This means that you won’t have to worry about many things, such as heating or lighting, but you and your guests can enjoy it to the fullest.

Another advantage is the possibility of meeting new people and sharing unique and exciting moments with them.

Let’s see in detail how to rent a holiday home and everything you need to know about it. 

How to rent a holiday Home: The bureaucratic process

The first thing to do is notify the Revenue Agency of your intention to rent a holiday home to avoid being subject to fines or sanctions.

It is, therefore, necessary to draw up a rental contract and fix all the conditions for the execution of the lease with the customer.

Subsequently, the contract must be registered at the Revenue Agency telematic desk and certified by the APE (Energy Performance Attestation).

Communication with the revenue agency

Communication with the Revenue Agency is a mandatory procedure. Whoever rents a holiday home must communicate the VAT number, the tax code and the employer’s telephone number for tax purposes to receive the notification of assessment.

The operation must be carried out using the same methods for the annual income tax return. Notification to the revenue agency is quite simple: enter the requested data on the form found on the site and forward the documentation filled in with the F24 or F23 conditions, following the indications relating to real estate leasing expenses and those relating to rent costs. 

Renting a holiday home: Contract Registration

If your property is for tourist use, it must be registered with the Revenue Agency. Registering the contract allows you to access various concessions (and more). Therefore it is essential so that you can take full advantage of your investment!

To register the rental contract for tourist use, first of all, you must remember that your home must be a primary residence in the national territory. Secondly, you must bear in mind that this procedure also includes the obligation to submit certain documents to the revenue agency:

  • extract from the tax return;
  • EPA certificate;
  • APE certification issued by the qualified technician;
  • lease;
  • certificate of registration with the Revenue Agency;
  • certificate of residence;
  • certificate of ownership.

Rent a holiday home on tourist sites

Are you going to rent a holiday home on a tourist site? Among the many, most of the time, you choose to rent a house on sites such as Airbnb, Booking, and HomeAway.

How to do? Here are the steps to follow:

  • Find the site that interests you most, and start writing reviews. Help guests choose your home by providing an overview of key features such as bedrooms, amenities and overall property look.
  • Take photos that highlight the specific qualities of your property. That way, guests can see what’s in front of them when they arrive at your property. Luckily, your house photo will also be used on other tourist sites!
  • Get a video camera to record the video demonstrating how the services available in your accommodation work (for example, washing machine and dryer). This information could be helpful to users unfamiliar with certain activities typical of the area at the time of booking – why not spare them these little hassles?


If you have decided to start thinking about a solution for renting a holiday home, we advise you to be ready to face a long and complex bureaucratic process. In particular, it is essential to remember to communicate to the agency all the valuable information for the activity we intend to carry out on our healthy property.